These are substances used to replace or augment volume in any part of skin or fat present beneath the skin. Fillers are an effective treatment for restoring youthfulness and for facial rejuvenation. It can either be used as a solo treatment or can be combined with other modalities such as laser resurfacing and botulinum toxin injections. Fillers are classified according to its longevity or duration for which the effects last into:
- • Temporary (< 1 year)
- • Semi-permanent (1-2 years)
- • Permanent (>2 years)
Temporary fillers are the safest and the most commonly used.
Fillers are injected into different levels of skin and fat depending upon the sites which require augmentation.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the difference between botulinum toxin and fillers?
Botulinum toxin relaxes the muscles and reduced appearance of line and wrinkles. Fillers are for replacement of volume.
- Are the injections painful?
Filler injections come with very tiny needles and are mixed with lignocaine. Hence, there is nil to mild discomfort. Most patients tolerate it very well with no pain.
- How long will the results last?
Results depend upon the type of filler used. It is decided on the basis of your requirements and expectation. But we mostly use temporary hyaluronic acid fillers which are best tolerated and safest. The effects last for 10 months to one year.
- Will the results look unnatural or plastic?
It merges seamlessly. There is no unnatural look when done correctly.
- What are the side effects?
There can be slight redness, swelling and tenderness, all of which resolve in 1 -2 days. It is a well tolerated safe treatment when done by experts.
- What precautions do I need to take?
- The treated area should not be touched
- The treated area should not be massaged for a week
- Head should be kept elevated while sleeping for one night after fillers injection.
- What are the areas that can be treated with fillers?
- Facial sculpting
- Liquid face lift or 8-point face lift wherein all the aesthetically important sites on the face are treated
- Restoration of volume loss on cheeks
- Reduction in fold around nose and mouth (nasolabial folds)
- Treatment of tear trough (hollow depression on the medial aspect of eyes) and sunken eyes
- Treatment of lines around lips and chin
- Acne scars
- Post surgical or traumatic scars
- Will the skin surface change ?
Fillers have the ability to retain water. So it does make the overlying skin more hydrated. In case of lines and wrinkles, best results are achieved with fillers are combined with botox and resurfacing therapy.
- Will fine lines reduce?
Yes, there is reduction of fine lines but the maximum effects are seen in deep grooves around the nose and mouth and the lower parts of cheeks.
- Will my face appear lumpy and bumpy?
When small amounts are injected in the right planes, there should be no lumpy effect. It merges well with the underlying tissue.